Welcome to our ministry blog. We invite you to read about what God is doing as we reach the world for Christ
from the streets of Rome. As you read, please pray! Our Next Ministry Trip will be starting April 11, 2022.


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Reality of Being a Committed Christian

We're getting ready to go soon. Just 12 more days until we head for Italy. I am now allowing my brain to think about things a little deeper. It is soon to be a reality!

As I've started thinking about it, I think God is showing me more and more what that reality truly means. Sunday School was great on Sunday and just really spoke to my heart. I thought I'd share in hopes that it will speak to your heart too.

Luke 9:57-62 KJV
And it came to pass, that as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man hath no where to lay his head. And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury the dead, but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee, but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Several things stuck out at me as we went over this passage of Scripture.
  • It is a huge thing to be a follower of Christ! As we go over to Italy, I'm not just going to live in some really cool place with picturesque scenery and old world charm! If it was Africa, would I still say "Yes, Lord, I'll follow you".
  • I have "stuff" in Texas, Minnesota, and Oregon! I feel like my belongings are all over the country! In contrast, Jesus said He didn't even have a place to lay his head. Am I willing to give up all of those "things", if need be, to follow Him. Jesus wants me to endure whatever hardship is necessary to bring others to Him. Am I willing?
  • A man wanted to go back and bury his Father. Was it just an excuse to not have to follow Jesus right away? We have family that don't quite understand our desire to go to Italy. What if someone needed us urgently? What would we do? Would we give up everything for Jesus? Sometimes this is required and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the opportunity to serve Him is urgent. It's a heavy question that only the Lord can give an answer to.
  • Another man was willing to follow the Lord, but he wanted to do it in his own timing. When the Lord calls us to serve Him, the time to serve is immediate. I'm reminded that man makes the plans, but God directs his steps. Sometimes our plans can get in the way of what God really is asking of us. Sometimes it doesn't always look like the most oppurtune time in our minds. What I am trying to learn is that God is in control and really know best when that time should be. He'll clear everything else up. I'll just need to follow.

At the end of Sunday School, we were praised because of what we were doing. I wanted to stand up and say that there was nothing different about me. I'm just an ordinary individual with no special talents or abilities. Anyone can serve the Lord. I struggle with my own anxious thoughts and feelings in serving the Lord.

Only through God's grace can I serve and follow Him. I don't have to step on a plane and go anywhere to do it.

Following the Lord is minute by minute every day..... and through God's grace ANYONE can do it.

No comments:

Hebrews 11:13,15,16

... These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off and were PERSUADED of them, and EMBRACED them, and CONFESSED that they were STRANGERS and PILGRIMS on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country... But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.