Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Gratituesday - May I be Honest?
We've now been in Italy three weeks. The "vacation" phase has worn off and reality has more or less set in. May I be honest and tell you, from one human to another human, that it's right about now that I start feeling a little depressed, discouraged, and a little lonely. We are so far from home, without a soul to talk to. I am in a country where I may or may not see the benefits of our labour. It is raining and raining and raining ... shall I go on?
As easy as it may be for me to meditate on those feelings, I am learning... slowly... that I need to turn that around. The best way to do that, for me, is to look at all the things that I have to be thankful for. My focus needs to be on Gratitude, to keep the right Attitude!
So, here goes... What do I have to be thankful for right now?
- a very nice landlady, who, as soon as her company leaves, I am going to invite over for tea.
- a wonderful husband, who, inspite of the rain, is delivering tracts all over this countryside!
- a wonderful God, who works through me, inspite of myself! Sometimes, when I don't even know it.
- the weather prediction of a sunny day on Thursday!
- a very nice lady in Texas who wrote us a letter!
I could go on and on .... Honestly!
... These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off and were PERSUADED of them, and EMBRACED them, and CONFESSED that they were STRANGERS and PILGRIMS on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country... But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.